Monday, March 26, 2012

Guac, Fish Tacos, Mandatory Hot Sauce


While I was gone I had the pleasure of hanging out with my mom, who is a lovely person and notoriously doesn’t try a lot of new food. This plus the fact that we were in the south – where everything is delicious, fatty and fried – inspired some home cooking by the boyfriend and me for mom. My mom lives in Florida on the water, so the fish selection is pretty fresh and so are the avocadoes, etc., which naturally led us to guac and fish tacos.

To start, I made my super easy guac recipe with homemade corn tortilla chips. There is hot sauce in it, but I feel like I should tell you it’s not spicy at all unless you really, really pile it on. In other words, Don’t Skip the Hot Sauce. You need it. The Guac needs it.



For the Guac:
2 ripe avocadoes, cut open, pit out and flesh smashed to bits with a fork
1 tomato, diced
1/3 of a red onion, diced
salt
hot sauce (Louisiana or Chalula work well but any is fine.)

Do This:
Mix it all together. Start light with the salt and hot sauce and tweak it. Try not to eat it all while you’re testing.


For the Chips:
Corn Tortillas
Extra Virgin Olive Oil and basic seasonings
Tin Foil

Do This:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Cut corn tortillas to look like chips. Any chips. I like triangles.
Put them all in a bowl with EVOO (or any oil really), salt, pepper, garlic + onion powder, whatever strikes your fancy, and mix with your hands.
Place them individually on a tin-foil-layered pan and into the oven they go.
I actually have no idea how long you cook them, less than 10 minutes. Check them frequently; they’ll get crispy and brown, and they’ll cool down pretty quickly after you take them out so you can get to munching.

                                     

For the Fish Tacos:
Mahi mahi, cut into strips
Lime juice
Cilantro
Jalapeno
EVOO
Garlic

Do This:
Mix it all together and marinate for a half hour or so. Then pan sauté it all with salt, pepper, etc. A pat of butter wouldn’t hurt either.
Serve it on briefly warmed (IE, thrown in the preheated oven for 30 seconds) corn tortillas. If you don’t do this, the tortillas will break in half. True story.

Add salsa & hot sauce if ya like it hot. Some do. My mom, of course, doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment